Saturday, August 28, 2010

Moving, School, Sushi

So I moved to Provo! Yeah! It was yesterday (Friday) and the actual moving went pretty smoothly. I live right by the stadium in a nice apartment where (to my surprise) I am one of the youngest of 6 roommates. My room-roommate is a returned missionary from Connecticut and just happens to be the old roommate of one of my mission companions. She's seems really nice so I feel good about my apartment.

Friday night I went to a women's soccer game with some mission buddies, and we got rained on (pooh!), not to mention it was a little awkward hanging around with an elder from my mission. They'll always be elders to me. Anyway, then we went made waffles and a few other people came over and it was fun.

Today! Wow, it has been weird. At noon I went out to sushi with Kat and her hubby and some other people. I have never really eaten sushi, but it's kind of a big thing here. Anyway, I gave it a try. I was pleasantly surprised that much of it was pretty good. However, Kat and Trevor ordered these fish eggs for me. They're tiny orange balls (tons of them) over a bed of rice wrapped in a huge thing of icky seaweed. Anyway, they told me it was my first time, I had to have the experience, so I shoved the whole thing in my mouth (and it was big) and everybody at the table (there were about 8 people) laughed while I gagged and chewed. When you chew, the eggs go crazy in your mouth, bursting and making a weird crunching sound. After I swallowed the bulk of it, I was still finding fish eggs in my gums and teeth. You could say I lost my appetite after that. Anyway, it was a fun experience, but it may be some time before I go again.

Then I walked to campus from my apartment. I didn't realize how far away I live. It took me a while in the hot sun, going uphill, to get to the book store. When I finally got there, I was sweating so bad, it was embarrassing. The worst part was that I was wearing new shoes so all that walking and my feet were killing me and now I seriously have huge blisters on my feet. OK, it sounds dramatic, but it was pretty bad. I'm not excited to walk to campus when it's so hot outside. But oh well!

OK, I'm thinking about changing my major. Right now I'm on the communications path, doing an emphasis in Public Relations. I like it. But I'm not sure that's what I really want to do. I'm thinking about changing to English. Yes, it would put me behind, but having transferred to BYU Provo has put me behind already so I might as well change right? Anyway, if there are any comments, let me know. If you can see me doing the whole English thing or communications thing or something else, make a comment and tell me! OK, that's all I have. Boring again, yes, but that's my life I suppose. Sleep in, for me. Because I can't anymore.

Alyson

1 comment:

  1. newshoesface, I think you would make a great English major! I could see you doing a lot of things you love with that, but you're great with people too if you want to stick with communications. If you do English and become a writer, you should really consider at least naming your book 'Orphan Pants,' I think it has some real potential. Also, I finished Mockingjay and am wishing I had someone to talk to about it. Sorry about the long walks/heat/sweating, I know what you're going through a little, 'cause Tanner has the sweating problem too. But I've never actually seen you sweat that much. Anywho, longest comment ever. My bad.
    PS Do people say 'my bad' anymore? I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete