Tuesday, August 31, 2010

School

Yesterday was my first day of school. It started out like any normal first day of school experience, and then went downhill from there. I think it was because I was dealing with the stress of changing my major, on top of switching around my classes, returning textbooks and buying new ones, along with getting to know a new and bigger campus. I signed up for a British Literary History class and started talking with a girl a few years younger than me who is in her senior year, graduating in December. I kind of felt silly that I've attended three years of college and now I'm basically starting over. On transferring to BYU, however, I was unaware that I wouldn't be accepted into the PR program right away and so it threw everything off for me; I really wasn't feeling that great about communications anyway. So I officially changed my major, called my dad for moral support, and then went to FHE later that night to scope out the hotties of my new ward. Just kidding about that last part, sort of.

So today was much better, though just as long. I only had two classes, but they were really spaced out, so I did some homework and some studying. I ran into three guys from my mission and that was cool. And today I've been feeling a lot better about switching my major to English. I'm considering doing English teaching. I used to think I would never want to be a teacher, but now I realize that I would love nothing more than trying to help people love literature. My roommates are cool. There are two of them that are book nuts (like me!) and BBC lovers (also like me!) and it was fun discussing North and South and Wives and Daughters, etc with them.

Book review:

William Goldman
The Princess Bride


I really loved this book. I thought it was very cleverly written and very hilarious. I liked it better than the movie. It is a very well-written book with some great scenes and witty humor. READ IT! Don't let it trick you, because he says it's an abridgement of the real book, but there is no real book. It's all part of the plot to draw you in. I had a good friend who loves the book say to me, "I loved the Princess Bride, but I read the abridged version. I heard it's way better." There's no abridgment. The "abridgement" IS the original. OK, that's all.




No comments:

Post a Comment