Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Summer Book List

I have read a ton of books this summer. It's probably a little pathetic. But no school and no job equals lots of free time. All of the books I post in my next few blogs are ones I read between the beginning of May and the end of August, some of which are rereads. I love reading and I love to discuss books, but absolutely ZERO of my reviews and thoughts will be spoilers. I promise. So here's the beginning of the list, these aren't in any particular order. Some of the books I post at the end may have actually been read at the beginning of the summer. Like you care. OK, for those who will actually read this, I'll start with the author, followed by the books and their reviews.

Suzanne Collins
The Hunger Games
Catching Fire
Mockingjay

OK, so overall, I loved these books. I was sad when they ended. In my personal opinion, Suzanne Collins gets a little cliche and over-the-top by the end of the books, but they're exciting, unpredictable and (in my opinion) well worth the read. Mockingjay is pretty bloody and a little disturbing in some ways. I have mixed feelings about it. Honestly, I ate it up. For those who have read them, you might be surprised that my favorite character is Haymitch. I'm not sure why, but his gruffness is endearing.

Fannie Flagg
Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

LOVED this book! Seriously, it was amazing. The characters are amazing. But I have to say that I don't recommend it to everyone. There's some language and other stuff. But the story and style of writing is excellent. It's pretty hilarious (I seriously laughed out loud at some parts), but if you're looking for a book that is only action and happiness and love, with no sadness, this is not your book. I will say that I loved the ending, it was very satisfying. It's also been made into a movie called "Fried Green Tomatoes" which is also excellent, though deviates quite a bit from the book.

Lisa Mangum
The Hourglass Door
The Golden Spiral

Lisa Mangum works at Shadow Mountain Publishing and I think she probably pulled some strings so that she could get this book published. It's a fun read and I admit it held my attention, but the characters are flat and the endings left me with too many questions. I put this book in the same category as Fablehaven and Twilight, though I think I enjoyed the others more. A third book will be coming out within the next year or so, and despite my somewhat negative review, you can bet I'll run out to get that last book. Once I start a series, even if I don't love it, I usually have to finish it.

OK, did anybody read those? Does anybody love reading as much as I do? Other posts will be coming later. Tell me what you think of the books if you read them; I'd love to get in discussions, even if you disagree. Ask questions or post suggestions for my future reading lists. OK, now you know I'm a real nerd. Books are my weakness.

Over and out.

1 comment:

  1. I have to tell you a story about The Hourglass Door that I probably shouldn't relate here...
    Lisa was actually my mentor during my internship at Deseret Book and she was cool. But I hear you on the string pulling.

    ReplyDelete